Thursday, October 23, 2008

"DIFFICULT AND HISTORIC ECONOMIC TIMES"

My son's private school newsletter, in a message from the headmaster to the dads, mentioned an upcoming "roundtable discussion on how we can lead our businesses and families through these difficult and historic economic times." I have a good friend who is another single mom at the school, and I'm thinking we need to crash the meeting. We both have our own (small) businesses and are definitely struggling to "lead our businesses and families through these difficult and historic times."

However, I am thinking the discussion will revolve around financial markets and investments, rather than how to save up enough money to pay the plumber to fix the toilet that has been broken for eight months because now the other toilet doesn't work so we are having a "difficult economic time." Or how to afford to fix the garage door that is letting in wildlife. Or how to save enough money to get the dead tree removed that you pray during every storm will not fall on your lovely new roof that you are still paying off.

I'm thinking that have a garage sale, quit spending so much at Ann Taylor Loft, give up your $18-a-week Diet Coke habit and consider renting out your spare bedroom will not be offered as suggestions at the meeting. Maybe I can solve my economic difficulties myself.

No comments: