Tuesday, January 6, 2009

BE IT HEREBY RESOLVED...

It's already Jan. 6, and I have yet to wrap my brain around goals for 2009. There's this brief window of opportunity for me: if I don't spend some time thinking through goals for the new year between Dec. 31 and Jan. 2, then life starts happening, and I get too busy to actually plan my life.

I do have a few resolutions in mind. They're not very organized and a bit random, but here we go:

1. Declutter - Did you see that guy on Oprah? Set the timer, get throw-away and give-away trash bags and attack a particular drawer, shelf, etc. Isn't it funny how just knowing that a junk drawer that you rarely open or a the back of a kitchen cabinet is organized and uncluttered makes you feel not just calm, but really good? I hope to tackle one room per month in 2009.

2. Lose eight pounds - I have got to make it happen. I saw a suggestion of taking photos of every meal you eat, kind of like a visual food diary, to keep you accountable. I will spare you endless photos of my meals!

3. Exercise regularly - This goes with #2. Plus, I'd like to improve my speed and prowess (ha) on the soccer field this spring (GO BLACK CATS!)I'm planning to run and lift some arm weights.

4. Consider going to a new church - I've never really found my place at the church I've been going to for the past six years. Seems like most churches don't quite know what to do with us divorced people, and frankly, I don't blame them. I don't have an answer. Lump us with the carefree, young singles? (Humiliating.) Put us in a 40+ singles group? (Wheeeeeee.) Put all the divorced people together? (What a fun group of battered and bruised people that would be!) I'm going to try out a church I know of that apparently has a really strong single parent group. I need to just suck it up and admit that, although most of my friends are married, single parents are my people.

5. Get on Facebook - Although I thought it was just for angst-ridden and hormone-driven teens, apparently Facebook is making its way to angst-ridden and hormone-driven adults. Perhaps a boy from my past will discover me, and I will decide that a nerdy, smart guy is exactly what I need at this point in my life! Or, more likely, some random sorority sister will find me, along with all of our other sorority sisters, and try to get me to buy Amway or something. I do think it will be fun. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: