Wednesday, January 28, 2009

SCAVENGING FOR MONEY

I went by the bank today to check on an account I remembered yesterday as I was trying to figure out how I'm going to pay the bills this month. The account was "dormant" but did have $700 in it. Yipee.

In my pathetic (and slightly desperate) search for the account with the bank's "personal banker" it came out that I have a business account with them. Well, he must have pressed a red button under the desk or something because the next thing you know there are FOUR bankers in the office with me. I try to explain that I own a small business - a really small business. But, they were all smiles even while looking at my meager account. They must be really hard up.

Next thing you know I'm in another office getting some credit card that's going to allow me to have no minimum on my business account, and then another banker is asking me if I have a Roth IRA. I keep trying to explain that I really don't have that much money. He says "Well, my advice is always start by having 8 to 12 months of living expenses saved and then look at things like a Roth-IRA." 8 to 12 months? Seriously? Clearly I won't be buying an IRA from him any time soon.

No comments: