Friday, February 13, 2009

AM I WORTHY?

OK. I'll start with an apology - if anyone is still reading this blog, I am sorry for my lack of entries. I have a variety of excuses, all of which involve needing to do real work that makes me real money that pays my very real mortgage.

I have joined Facebook. Yea! A 2009 goal already complete. It really is fun and a bit addictive. Who would have known that I would care to know that my long lost grade school friend is headed to a Girl Scout meeting or an old co-worker is watching American Idol or a client has a head cold? Seeing those updates is strangely voyeuristic. (I know I butchered that spelling - too lazy to check it)

The surprising thing for me has been the junior high, butterflies-in-the-stomach experience of wondering who might want to be my friend. I send out those friend requests with a twinge of anxiety, hoping that the person deems me worthy of being a friend.

And then there's the little shot of ego boost that you get when you see there is a friend request for you. Someone wants to be my friend! I am worthy! Somebody remembers me and likes me!

There's also the slightly torturous game of watching those people in the "people you may know" list. OK, yeah, I know them but I'm not going to ask them to be my friend. I bet my name is showing up on their "people you may know" list. Will they pick me? Am I worthy to them? Do they want to be my friend? Especially with guys from the past, I find this strangely stressful.

After seeing my fourth-grade boyfriend on my "people you may know" list for about two weeks and wondering if he still liked me, I got his request. He wants to be my friend! I felt like the George Strait song "Check Yes or No" (you know how it goes: Do you love me? Do you wanna to be my friend? Well if you do, then don't be afraid to take me by the hand, if you want to. I think this is how love goes. Check yes or no.) How exciting it was to "check yes" to his friend request. He still likes me!

No comments: