Friday, February 20, 2009

THE BEAUTY OF BULK

Stopped by 7-11 this morning and once again was struck by the fact that the place was packed with various landscapers, construction workers and people who generally looked like they work on some sort of a crew. They're there buying breakfast and drinks and snacks.

What gets to me is that convenience stores are the most expensive places for shopping. I'm pretty sure the various crew members in the store would not be considered upper income. I truly want to just gather them all in a circle and say "Listen, guys, you could save a heck of a lot of money if you would just get a little organized. Let's all give John here two dollars, and send him over to Walmart. He can buy us all big bags of chips, six packs of drinks, bags of snacks in bulk and a whole box full of donuts. We'll have to do some sharing, but trust me, it will be worth it."

I figure they could probably save $4 a day with this plan, which would be $20 per week. Come on guys, surely you're feeling the need to cut back like the rest of us?

(I forgot to mention that the reason I was in the 7-11 was to buy a single Diet Coke for $1.50. I can buy a six-pack at Walmart for $2.90. Do the math. It's not pretty.)

No comments: