Tuesday, November 25, 2008

BEHIND THE EYES

Here's a tip for you married girls out there: if you'd like to reach out to us divorced/single gals, one very practical thing you can do is offer to have your husband come get our Christmas trees out of the attic. Wrangling our four-foot wide trees through the three-foot wide opening to our attics is one of the few things we simply can't do without help - preferably strong and patient help.

My brother and nephews will be making their annual pilgrimage to my attic tomorrow to wrestle down my tree. I am oh so grateful!

It is Thanksgiving week, and I certainly have much to be thankful for. However, as I said in a previous post, the holidays are a glaring reminder to us divorced people that THIS IS NOT THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE. It's always a very isolating time. Even when I'm with Cole, I still feel isolated - no adult conversation and endless rounds of football, ping-pong and baseball. It feels like everyone else is out doing family things together, and I am just alone.

Now, my Thanksgiving Day is going to be very nice with my brother, sister-in-law, nephews, niece, parents and Cole. It should feel almost the way it is supposed to be.

Otherwise, it's already been a funk-inducing week. I plan to spend the rest of my evening on the couch listening to Amy Grant's Behind the Eyes CD (which she later deemed her "Prozac and razorblades" album) - it's the perfect soundtrack for contemplating the ceiling fan.

P.S. Ladies, remember to have your husbands return after Christmas to help stuff the tree back up in the attic!

No comments: