Thursday, November 6, 2008

LOVE IN A PINK BOX

I have discovered what might just push me over the edge into a more pro-active dating role – as opposed to the reactive stance I seem to be taking (as in, I’ll just enjoy my weekend nights of sitting around in my pjs and working because I know that God will just drop that magically perfect man into my life.) You’d think that my current little economic crisis or need for a handyman or desire for a dinner in a restaurant without video games might push me over the edge. Not so much.

My latest enticement towards finding a man (or heck, just finding a date!) is very shiny. As in diamonds. My mother bought me some “huggies” (small loop earrings with diamonds) for my 40th birthday this fall. We went to Naomi’s (Libby Lou’s for grown-ups) the other day to look for diamond-covered dangles to attach to the huggies for mom to give me for Christmas.

How fun. I just loved all the little shapes and designs - all covered in diamonds, and I was overcome with the idea that if I had a man in my life, he could buy me a different set of little dangles for all those special holidays or even just because. Ah. It would be so perfect and convenient for him! He’d get to be real good friends with Naomi herself, and she would advise him on the most popular designs. He’d get to the point where he could just call her, and she’d pick out the shiniest and best dangles for me. He’d have her wrap them up, and then he’d swing by to pick them up along with a beautiful bouquet.

He’d slide the box over to me as we dined together at home by candlelight (because, you know, we’d do that because we’d be so in love). My eyes would light up as I recognized that special little pink box from Naomi’s. I’d rejoice over my new dangles, and thank him for once again understanding that my love language – the best way to love me – is by giving me gifts. Especially shiny gifts that can hang from my huggies.

No comments: