Thursday, December 4, 2008

QUIRKY RADAR

It’s official. It’s been one year this month since my last date. My last evening of adult conversation with an available male. I think the well is officially dry, and there’s no hope/potential in sight.

I was thinking back on the dates I have been on (that would be pre-2007) and some of the just plain funny things I’ve experienced. Now, you might not think they’re funny, but I think they’re quite quirky. Some might say my quirky radar is too sensitive, but judge for yourself.

In the past seven years, I have been out with men who:
  • Drive a bus for a living.
  • Prayed over our meal and thanked God for the red tomatoes on our salads.
  • Pulled over at the end of my street to make sure I was going to put on my seatbelt.
  • Told me they were recently divorced (as in four days divorced)
  • Admitted that they lived with their parents.
  • Told me their soon-to-be ex-wife thought they were an alcoholic, as he drank his fourth glass of wine.
  • Talked baby talk to their CAT.
  • Told me that he and his ex-wife fought more over custody of their dogs than custody of their kids.
  • Took me to a lovely fountain to enjoy the sunset - and brought a towel in case we decided to splash around in the fountain. (seriously dude?)
  • Talked to me in third person, as in “How is Laura doing?”
Now, those of you who know my dating record realize that this list is a compilation of a mere five to ten men (too depressing for me to actually count the number). It’s a weird dating world out there, and I’ll admit that it just doesn’t take much for me to hoist that red flag right on up the flagpole.

(I need to say here that I am certainly not ungrateful - I have been on some very fun dates, enjoyed some good meals at cool Dallas restaurants, gotten lots of good advice, had great conversations, gotten some good self-esteem boosts and some very thoughtful gifts.)

Maybe if I turned down my quirky radar, I’d have better luck. If nothing else, it might make for some entertaining reading for all of you married gals who wonder about all the great fun us single gals are having.

No comments: